About West EL
West Elementary School is a community of learners. Our goal is to help children to become caring and proactive individuals who treat each other with respect and dignity.
We value the diverse nature of our population; celebrate individual differences among children, and set high expectations for them. These expectations are a reflection of the uniqueness of each child. We acknowledge that children must take responsibility for their own learning. Through cooperation and individual effort, each child will acquire skills that will help him/her to become a lifelong learner.
We believe that the school should support certain values, such as honesty, courtesy, responsibility, and respect for oneself and others. A key element is the fostering of a strong sense of self-worth in each child.
As educators, we must make children aware of the difference between right and wrong. We need to encourage the growth of a strong conscience that tells children to do what is right. Our ultimate goal as educators is to promote pro-social behaviors and help children to become autonomous individuals.
Building the School
The first West Elementary School was built around 1849. It was a two-room building and was located at the end of Beacon Street. At that time there were two other elementary schools in Andover, the North School on North Street and the Indian Ridge School located on Cuba Street. These schools were closed sometime between 1946 and 1949.
In 1952, a new West Elementary opened on Beacon Street. Because of the large enrollment, fifth- and sixth-graders had to attend the Stowe School in the center of town.
The first addition was added to the West in 1956 and students from kindergarten through grade six were then housed there. Each grade level contained two classrooms.
The second addition to West was completed in 1970. It included a media center, cafeteria, an auditorium seating 365, a faculty room, a gymnasium, and two classroom pods. New offices were also included as well as a clinic, conference room, and reception area. In September of 1988 West Elementary became a K-5 school when the school system was reconfigured to K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
After Andover High School, West is the largest of Andover's eight schools. It serves more than 660 students with a staff of 100 teachers, tutors, instructional assistants, and other support personnel.
Construction is scheduled for the new building in ~2022. For more details, see the public forum slides.